2/15/22; Week 7: Response to “Difference in Manners"

 

Has it ever happened to you that you were abroad or among foreigners and did something that was offensive to them but back home was something normal?

Prior to my mission in Canada, I had heard that in some Asian countries it is customary that people take off their shoes when entering a house, but what I didn’t know was that taking the shoes off wasn’t enough, besides leaving the shoes at the entrance, people should not show their bare feet because it’s seen as very disrespectful in their culture. So, there is innocent me, brand new missionary, walking into this Filipino family’s, I take off my flat shoes which I used to wear without socks and I start making my way into the living room in bare foot when this horrified wife comes running holding a pair of slippers asking me to wear because they shouldn’t see my feet. I was so embarrassed, but I learned my lesson.

Just as what happened to me with this family, there are different manners around the world. What can be considered acceptable in one part of the world, may be seen as rude in others. I feel that it’s important to be aware of these differences to facilitate social interaction between the students and teachers, as well as students and their peers and also; with those around them, especially when abroad.

Comentarios

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. Your experience was certainly a teaching moment! I wonder how many times we are with people from another culture, and try to do what's 'correct', but haven't got it quite right! I think it is great that our young people go on missions and gain an insight into other people's customs.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. That's funny to be embarrassed culturally. Thanks for sharing your story and I will be aware to not show my bare foot when in Philippines.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Dajhanna! Thank you for sharing your experience! I agree it is important to be aware of these differences so we can have positive interactions in the classroom.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario