1/31/22; Week 5: Response to "Culture Paradigms"

 

What if everything you know happens to be the opposite in a different part of the world? 

Paradigms affect the way we interpret things. What can be normal and natural for people from one culture, might be the opposite for people of a different culture. I was surprised at what Delali Bright shared about the definition of beauty in her hometown in Africa which honestly, is totally opposite to what beauty is for me, coming from a Latin American country. The way people think and perceive things is definitely shaped by the culture they were raised in and this can also affect their self-concept, self-confidence and even their learning process.

While serving my mission in Canada, me and my companion were invited over for dinner at a Sri Lankan home, everything was going so well until we sat at the table and to my surprise there were not any utensils on the table because they eat with their hands. The first thing that came to my mind my mom: “Do not touch the food with your hands, that is not polite!” Luckily, I had learned that in some Asians and Middle Eastern countries people eat with their hands, though I had not had the chance to experience it first-hand. So, I obviously still had a culture shock coming from a different paradigm in regards of social etiquette. But because I had been given enough information, I was able to adjust quickly and it all turned out well. However, I believe not everybody has the same luck, especially if someone has not had any interaction with foreigners or received much information about foreign cultures.

So, thinking about this experience makes me wonder what is it like for TESOL students adjusting to a totally new culture? I can only imagine the amount of information they have to assimilate from their everyday interactions. Do they ever feel confused, alone or overwhelmed? And what is it that ESOL teachers can do to help them adjust? I feel that peer interaction can greatly help, especially when there are students from different cultural backgrounds but what about if it is a TEFL class and students are not exposed to new/different culture paradigms?

Comentarios

  1. Hello Dajhanna!

    I liked the experience you shared to exemplify some cultural paradigms. It's amazing how something simple can sometimes be a shock to others, but it's just learning why and trying to understand, not offending others, and trying to adapt as much as possible, not affecting our integrity.
    For some students, it is difficult to adapt to another culture and we must be patient in their process. We can ask for support from other students, this will help them adapt easily.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario